Monday, October 5, 2026

NAME OF THE DAY: James

Today is James Bond Day!: a ๐ŸŒglobal ๐ŸŽ‰celebration of the Bond aka 0️⃣0️⃣0077️⃣ ๐ŸŽž️movies that debuted in ⏪1962 with the late Sean Connery playing the ๐Ÿ˜Žcool and suave ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡งBritish ๐Ÿ•ต️spy in ๐ŸŽฅDr. No. 

✍๐ŸปAuthor Ian Fleming created the James Bond character in 1953. The name ๐Ÿ“›James Bond came from that of the American ornithologist James Bond, a Caribbean ๐Ÿฆฉbird expert and author of the definitive field guide Birds of the West Indies. Fleming, a keen birdwatcher himself, had a copy of Bond's guide and he later explained to the ornithologist's wife that "It struck me that this brief, unromantic, Anglo-Saxon and yet very masculine name was just what I needed, and so a second James Bond was born". He further explained that: 

When I wrote the first one in 1953, I wanted Bond to be an extremely dull, uninteresting man to whom things happened; I wanted him to be a blunt instrument ... when I was casting around for a name for my protagonist I thought by God, [James Bond] is the dullest name I ever heard.

— Ian Fleming, The New Yorker, 21 April 1962

On another occasion, Fleming said: "I wanted the simplest, dullest, plainest-sounding name I could find, 'James Bond' was much better than something more interesting, like 'Peregrine Carruthers'. Exotic things would happen to and around him, but he would be a neutral figure—an anonymous, blunt instrument wielded by a government department." 

The name ๐Ÿ“›James is a boy's name of Hebrew, English origin meaning "supplanter," ๐Ÿ“›Nameberry๐Ÿ’ says. "James is one of the classic Anglo-Saxon names, a stalwart through the ages that is more popular—and yes, stylish—than ever today. It recently came out Number 1 in a poll of  ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒAmerica's favorite boys' baby names, and is the most common male name, counting people of all ages, in the US. James, which reentered the Top 5 in 2016, is a current favorite among fashionable parents looking for a baby name that has both style and substance. Like Henry and Theodore, it manages to combine these two stellar qualities." ๐Ÿ“›NB๐Ÿ’ continues on James, "An English derivation of the Hebrew name Jacob, James is biblical (the name of two apostles in the New Testament), royal (kings of both England and Scotland), and ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒpresidential (with more U.S. Chief Executives -- six -- than any other name). The name James is also shared by countless great writers and entertainers."

๐Ÿ“›Nameberry๐Ÿ’ points out the other forms of James as: Jimmy, Jimbo or even Jamie and proclaims, "the most fashionable form of the name is James itself." ๐Ÿ“›James has now become a "fashionable" middle name choice for baby ๐Ÿ’“girls. ๐Ÿ“›NB๐Ÿ’ showcases "interesting" foreign variations of James as: Diego and Jaime (Spanish), Jacques (French), Giacomo (Italian), Hamish (Scottish), Jaako (Finnish), Seamus (Irish), Jaap (Dutch) and Jago (Cornish).

James is a best of both worlds type of name: "along with being one of the most popular first names in the US, James is also one of the most common ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒAmerican last names. As of October 2026, James ranked #6 in US births in 2025 SSA, peaked at #1 in 1947,๐Ÿ“›Nameberry๐Ÿ’ popularity #2."

James Bond may be the quintessential ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡งBritish man, however the name James is not even in the ⬆️top 10 names for baby boys in ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡งEngland. It recently ranks ๐Ÿ“‰#42. 


Behind The Name says, the name James (English form of the Late Latin name Iacomus, a variant of the Biblical Latin form Iacobus, from the Hebrew name Yaสฟaqov (see Jacob) ), "has been used in ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡งEngland since the 13th century, though it became more common in Scotland where it was borne by several kings. In the 17th century the Scottish king James VI inherited the English throne, becoming the first ruler of all Britain, and the name grew much more popular. In American name statistics (recorded since 1880) this name has never been out of the top 20, making it arguably the era's most consistently popular name. It was the top ranked name for boys in the ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒUnited States from 1940 to 1952." 


๐Ÿ“California and ๐Ÿ“Kentucky are where the most Jameses live ๐Ÿ  in the ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒU.S.


A variant of James is: ๐Ÿ“›Jaymes 


I like the name ๐Ÿ“›James, mainly because I ๐Ÿฅฐ love James Bond (to the point I mused briefly if I had a son I would consider naming him ๐Ÿ“›Bond, at least as a middle name ๐Ÿ˜„). And speaking of that exact name, when I had ⚖️jury duty๐Ÿซก twenty or so years ago⏪, the case I was being screened to be a juror on, had a defendant with the name... James Bond! ๐Ÿคฏ And to boot, he was ๐Ÿ‘จ๐ŸพBlack! I was so shocked ๐Ÿ˜ฎ and I remember some of the jurors murmuring under their breaths when his name was told. None of us thought we ๐Ÿ”ˆheard correctly. ๐Ÿซจ I remember being excited to tell my family later, there was a Black James Bond in existence. ๐Ÿ˜… Besides that James, I knew a James through an old friend and I briefly met two other Jameses (one was his real name, the other was most likely a fake name used [๐Ÿ˜–long story❗] ). I'm surprised I haven't met that many Jameses in my life ๐Ÿค” given how it's such a popular name. 


But even if I wasn't a fan of James Bond, I would still like the name James. ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿพ ๐Ÿ“›James truly is a classic, nice name. It can be a bit boring ๐Ÿ’ค(depending on the wearer of the name but in James Bond's case, he holds one of the most exciting ๐Ÿค— names in ๐Ÿฟcinema history)... yet it's still super ✔️smooth, ✔️masculine and definitely not going anywhere on the ๐Ÿ“›name charts. ๐Ÿ“Š 


⭐FAMOUS & ๐Ÿ“NOTEWORTHY ๐Ÿ“›JAMESES:

๐Ÿ“›๐Ÿ˜‡Saint "James the Just" ๐Ÿ“– (brother of ✝️Jesus)

๐Ÿ“›๐Ÿ˜‡Saint "James the Apostle" ๐Ÿ“– (brother of John the Apostle) 

๐Ÿ“›"James the Less" ๐Ÿ“– (one of the Twelve Apostles of ✝️Jesus)

๐Ÿ“›James Brown ๐ŸคŽ ๐ŸŽค (late singer)

๐Ÿ“›James Earl Jones ๐ŸŽฅ (actor)

๐Ÿ“›James Dean ๐ŸŽฅ (actor)

๐Ÿ“›James Franco ๐ŸŽฅ (actor)

๐Ÿ“›James Blunt ๐ŸŽค (singer)

๐Ÿ“›James Taylor ๐ŸŽค (singer)

๐Ÿ“›James Marsden ๐ŸŽฅ (actor)

๐Ÿ“›James Corden ๐Ÿ“บ๐ŸŽค (tv host) 

๐Ÿ“›James Paul McCartney ๐ŸŽค (musician, member of The Beatles)

๐Ÿ“›James Todd Smith ๐ŸŽ™ (aka rapper LL Cool J)

๐Ÿ“›James  "Jimi" Hendrix ๐ŸŽค๐ŸŽธ(musician & guitarist) 

๐Ÿ“›James "Jim" Carey ๐Ÿ˜‚ (comedian)

๐Ÿ“›James  "Jimmy" Stewart ๐ŸŽฅ (actor)

๐Ÿ“›James "Jimmy" Fallon ๐Ÿ“บ๐ŸŽค (tv host)

๐Ÿ“›Alexander James McLean ๐ŸŽค (singer in boyband Backstreet Boys)

๐Ÿ“›James Colson Baker ๐Ÿ‘จ‍๐Ÿ‘ฆ (late father of ๐ŸŽคmusician mgk)

๐Ÿ“›James Hetfield ๐ŸŽค (vocalist in/co-founder of band Metallica)

๐Ÿ“›James Van Der Beek ๐ŸŽฅ (late actor who played character Dawson Leery on ๐Ÿ“บtv show Dawson's Creek)

๐Ÿ“›James Joyce ✍๐Ÿป (novelist & poet)

๐Ÿ“›James Cook ๐Ÿงญ (explorer)

๐Ÿ“›James Watt ๐Ÿ’ก (inventor)

๐Ÿ“›James "Ghost" St. Patrick ๐Ÿ‘ป (main character on ๐Ÿ“บtv show Power)

๐Ÿ“›Captain James T. Kirk ๐Ÿง‘๐Ÿป‍๐Ÿš€(main character in ⭐Star Trek series) 

๐Ÿ“›James Trotter ๐Ÿ“˜ (character in the book James and the Giant ๐Ÿ‘Peach by Roald Dahl)

๐Ÿ“›James Woodsen ๐Ÿ“• (character in the book Salem's Fall by Rektok Ross)

๐Ÿ“›James Olivia Fehr ๐Ÿ’— (daughter of ๐ŸŽฅactor Brendan Fehr, named after Metallica's James Hetfield)


♀️Female Version of ๐Ÿ“›JAMES:

๐Ÿ“›JAYE

๐Ÿ’ญI assumed the feminine version of James was Jamie๐Ÿง... I don't like Jaye for a girl ๐Ÿ™…๐Ÿพ‍♀️ (I'm always going to think of rap legend Jay-Z when I hear the name Jay๐Ÿคท๐Ÿพ‍♀️)... although the 'e' does make it slightly more girly. 


๐Ÿ“ŒSTATS ON THE NAME ๐Ÿ“›James:

https://www.mynamestats.com/First-Names/J/JA/JAMES/index.html


☔๐Ÿ“›IRN RATING OF ๐Ÿ“›James: ๐Ÿ‘ OR ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™/ 10  

NAME OF THE DAY: James

Today is James Bond Day!: a ๐ŸŒglobal  ๐ŸŽ‰ celebration of the Bond aka 0️⃣0️⃣ 007 7️⃣ ๐ŸŽž️movies that debuted in ⏪1962 with the late Sean Con...