Wednesday, August 26, 2026

NAME OF THE DAY: Dolly

To celebrate the life of the iconic and πŸ₯°cherished  🀠country 🎀singer, πŸ¦‹Dolly Parton — who unfortunately just passed away (RIP) — I will be speaking on her ☺️ sweet name (yes! it was her real name) that fit her persona perfectly πŸ‘ŒπŸΎπŸ“›Dolly  

πŸ“›Dolly Rebecca Parton was the late 🎡Jolene singer's full name. 

Behind The Name says: "Doll and Dolly were used from the 16th century, and the common English word doll (for the plaything) is derived from them."

πŸ“›NameberryπŸ’ points out Dolly (meaning: gift of God) is: "Typically short for Dorothy or its sister, Dorothea, Dolly has been used on its own since the seventeenth century, so common then that it became a generic term for a favored girl. In the US, it was a Top 300 name around the turn of the last 20th century." 

BTN adds that: "In modern times Dolly is also sometimes used as a diminutive of Dolores." A variation of Dolly includes an 'e': πŸ“›Dolley (a la Madison πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

πŸ“›NBπŸ’ describes the name Dolly as, "Sweet and cosy with a touch of sass," going on to say, "this nickname-y choice was a familiar option up until the sixties in the US. Then, for a while, it was a bit of a one-person name, associated with singer Dolly Parton, but more recently, it's been singing a fashionable note again along with sisters Dottie and MillieWhile some may read it as just a touch too cutesy, Dolly does fit right in with Birdie, Scottie, Maisie, Etta, Goldie, and so on, and was a Top 400 choice in the UK in a recent year. Its return to the stage in the US has been quieter, but 127 girls were called Dolly in the latest count: more than double the number who were given the name in 2020."

In 2025 Dolly was given to 113 girls πŸ’“ in the United States according to SSA and was #1781πŸ“Š in popularity:


πŸ“California and πŸ“West Virginia are where the most Dollys dwell. 🏑


πŸ—£️Comments via BTN on πŸ“›Dolly:



I love πŸ’“ the name πŸ“›Dolly! I mean, could a name get any cuter⁉️ πŸ™…πŸΎ‍♀️ It's so ✔️cute, ✔️feminine and ✔️pretty. When I first heard of Dolly Parton, I always figured it was her stage name 🀷🏾‍♀️ because she was the first Dolly I ever heard of. Well... the first Dolly I truly heard of was a toy action figure girl/woman when I was younger. πŸ‘§πŸΎ I πŸ€”can't recall who she was/her brand 😭 (she wore an all pink suit) but I named her πŸ“›Dolly. πŸ€—

In researching this piece, I wasn't aware there are so many πŸ“›Dollys actually. 😯 I really thought πŸ¦„Dolly Parton was the lone πŸ“›Dolly of the world. πŸ˜†

I truly think the name πŸ“›Dolly will definitely πŸ“ˆrise in popularity with Parton's passing and that would be really great — who wouldn't want to be named such, after such a special (πŸ“°Next tropical storm to be named in the Atlantic will be 'Dolly'woman? 😌


πŸ“ŒFor 🎡fans of πŸ•ŠDolly Parton, share memories of the late singer, by visiting: πŸ¦‹dollyparton.com


FAMOUS & πŸ“NOTEWORTHY πŸ“›DOLLYS:

πŸ“›Dorothy "Dolly" Collins 🎀 (late singer) 

πŸ“›Dorothy "Dolly" Haas πŸŽ₯ (late actress)

πŸ“›Dorothy "Dolly" Wells πŸŽ₯ (actress)

πŸ“›Dorothy "Dolly" Hall πŸŽ₯ (film producer)

πŸ“›Nora "Dolly Buster" Baumberger πŸ”žπŸŽ¬⭐πŸŽ₯ (adult film star & filmmaker) 

πŸ“›Dolly-Rose🌹 Campbell πŸŽ₯ (actress)

πŸ“›Rose🌹 "Dolly Doops" Pruett🎀 (singer)  

πŸ“›Dolly Read Martin πŸŽ₯πŸ‘  (actress & model) 

πŸ“›Dolly Sohi πŸŽ₯ (late actress)

πŸ“›Dolly Shahine 🎀 (singer) 

πŸ“›"Dolly Style" πŸŽ€πŸŽ€ πŸŽ€ (girl group consisting of: Mikaela Samuelsson, Vilma Davidsson & Caroline Aronsson) 

πŸ“›"Dolly White" 🎀 (rapper)

πŸ“›Dolly Rathebe 🎀 (late singer) 

πŸ“›Dolly Vanderlip Ozburn ⚾ (former pro. baseball player) 

πŸ“›Dolly Jacobs πŸŽͺπŸ’“ (aerialist & daughter of famous πŸ€‘clown Lou Jacobs) 

πŸ“›Dolly O'Connell πŸ’“(daughter of πŸŽ₯actor Jerry O'Connell & πŸŽ₯actress Rebecca Romijn)

πŸ“›Dolly Banks πŸ’“ (daughter of πŸŽ₯actress Morwenna Banks)

πŸ“›Dolly Jain 🧡 (fashion designer) 

πŸ“›Dolly Ayash πŸ“Ί (tv show host)

πŸ“›Dolly Alderton πŸ“˜ (author)

πŸ“›Dolly Gallagher Levi 🎭🎡 (character in the play The Merchant of Yonkers & musical Hello Dolly!)

πŸ“›Dolly Dearest πŸ˜± (doll character in horror movie Dolly Dearest)

πŸ“›Dolly 😱 (masked doll character in horror movie Dolly)

πŸ“›"Dolly the sheep" πŸ‘πŸ‘ (late, first cloned sheep) 

πŸ“›Dolly Pawton 🐢▶️ (dog influencer)


πŸ“ŒSTATS ON THE NAME πŸ“›Dolly:

https://www.mynamestats.com/First-Names/D/DO/DOLLY/index.html


πŸ“›IRN RATING OF πŸ“›Dolly: πŸ‘ OR  πŸ’“ πŸ’“ πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“/ 10  













NAME OF THE DAY: Dolly

To celebrate the life of the iconic and  πŸ₯° cherished   🀠country 🎀singer,   πŸ¦‹ Dolly Parton — who unfortunately just passed away  (RIP) —...